Thursday, June 18, 2009

my machine

I stole this from Ann's blog, I thought it was cool and a nice way to honor the machine that gives me such joy!
What brand and model do you have & how long have you had it?
I have a Pfaff Varimatic 6091. My mom bought it when I was in 6th grade (1996) I think and then she bought a newer one when I was in college. My junior year we knew I would not be comming home for Thanksgiving break so she gave me some money to buy some fabric and sent me back to school after my fall break with the machine and it's been mine ever since. Let me do some math here: 5 years!!
How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
I have no idea!!! but its worth it's weight in gold to me!
How much do you sew?
not enough! I am actually just really gettign into it. I wonder if that's because R's old enough to entertain herself or if the quilting bug has really bitten me and gotten into my blood. I guess we will see when #2 arrives
How much wear and tear does the machine get?
more than it deserves! between not having a place to take it in town (90 miles away is a pfaff shop and the two in town only will deal with their own types, bernina or jerome) and I don't think my mom ever had it serviced. R likes to play with it and sometimes I leave the threads in and she jams it up! (this picture is what I pulled out one time very recently when R was "sewing" without any fabric in the machine when I was at work one day. She was in timeout until I got all the threads out. took tweezers, an exacto-knife, a pin, and a lot of tears!
Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I love my machine because it's mine and it does what I need and want it to do. I wish my mom knew where the owners manual was. I am sure some day she will find it. I think they are going to do some mass remodeling when my brother moves out and take our rooms and make it one big sewing room for mom. Chances are when she moves her quilting stuff from the "storage room" into her sewing suite we'll find it. I just hope I am there to help her move the things so I can raid the stashes too! fabric and mags and books and threads and....25 plus years of quilting for her to my five!
What features does your machine have that work well for you?
I can sew forward and backwards....I really don't know enough about my poor machine!
Do you have a great story to share about your machine?
not yet! I am sure someday the machine and I will go on an adventure or two!
Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
if I can use it, anyone can, so YES! But if you want more bells and whistles no. This is a bottom of the line model. Perfect for me for now though!
What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
I haven't had to look for a new one but something that feels right to use. you don't buy a car without a test drive, why would you buy a sewing machine? Also think about what features you really will use vs. what is cool. One of mom's friends wanted one model and ended up with another because it had more features but she doesn't use them and actually doenst like the new machine because it is not very user friendly for her needs.
Do you have a dream machine?
No, but I wouldn't mind something that was all mine, not just a hand me down. I have hopes that if R stays interested in quilting, I will either pass this one onto her or buy her a basic machine, maybe when she's 15. (13=pierced ears! if she wants them!) I would do that for any daughter. Every woman needs a sewing machine for SOMETHING at some point right?

Beware, I will be posting somethign else this evening. I have the day off, took new belly shots, made some blocks for my shop hop quilt, have a funny R story to share...and maybe will do some cleaning. I have lots to share =)

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

Fab review. Just goes to show that a basic machine gets the job done.

Happy Stitching...Ann :)