Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

This is now the third year I've done this sort of post, and I am so thankful I did it in '08 (the first year I made my own real Thanksgiving dinner) because I couldn't find the same recipe for how to brine a turkey that I liked and had it on here. I hope you don't mind.



Menu:

Turkey (Adam bought a 13 lber for me and it fit in my batting storage tub, which also nicely fits in the dishwasher for afterwards.)

Mashed potatoes

baby peas in butter sauce (oh from the box if I weren't working until 1:30 I might do my own)

Family Fruit Salad

Rolls

sparkling cider

pumpkin pie?



easy this year, especially since A likes his potatoes out of the box, but I am adding some Gouda and garlic to them to jazz them up a bit *update, Adam said ABSOLUTELY NOT! make them plain so he can add gravy*

so I brined my turkey again, this is the way I think I will do it from here on out. If you look back to Nov '08 I have directions, but I just found this site today when I was looking for times to cook since I got a smaller bird this year than in the past.

Mashed potatoes out of the box, no adjustment, easy peasy

warmed up the gravy from Costco

sliced cranberry sauce

made fruit salad last night (I might have shared the recipe, but it's got mandarin oranges, pineapple (omitted this year) maraschino cherries, grapes, marshmallows and whipped cream...do as you like.

crescent rolls thanks to Pillsbury

Pumpkin pie (follow the Libby's pie directions)

then a Peanut Butter Pie I chose this one because it is similar to a chocolate cream pie I make , but this one looked good too.

Peas in Butter Sauce thanks to Green Giant

oh and I made dressing in a caserole dish with dried out bread, butter and onions melted down and a littel garlic for fun, added a little chicken stock, then baked in the oven next to the bird for the last 20 or so minutes.

and four happy people!!!

6 comments:

---"Love" said...

Your menu was almost exactly like my son's girlfriend's today. What's more, she cooks her turkey the same way, and it was DEE-licious! ---"Love"

Unknown said...

Brining a turkey?? I've never heard of it, but I'm sure it's delicious;) I think we did something like that with a prime rib a few years ago for Christmas dinner;)
We did a taco dinner this year. It was just me and my hubby...no need for a big dinner;)
Happy Thanksgiving;)

Joanne Lendaro said...

Sounds wonderful Lisa! It's about who you are with, not how it is made. Being happy is the most important thing of the day and it sounds like you were quite successful!

Sandy said...

That sounds like a lovely family dinner. Good for you.

Sandy

Barb said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful dinner. I will have to check out that peanute butter pie for my husband.

Hope you had a great day!

Beth said...

The four happy people is what is all about. Sounds like a yummy meal.