Tuesday, January 31, 2012

my weekend

thank goodness for PlayDoh! Who'd have thought that the girls would play so well for long periods of time together with it. I am now trying to save it for weekends/days off because....


mama got to sew!


This last weekend I had a 1/2 day Friday (4.75 hours) and sat and sun off, and closed on Monday (so I left the house at 11:30am) My mom hightailed it up to visit a friend in Canada, and have lunch with my brother and his girlfriend. My brother came home for Sat to watch the 24 Hours of Daytona with my dad and weld something, and help dad with something in the master suite. Dad was watching the race and working on the remodel...the girls PLAYED PLAYDOH and I took over moms sewing space with my projects and machine.

I got the piecing of the Spooktacular Chains quilt finished, just have to draw out and do the applique. Just as I wanted it's an over sized queen, most likely pushing king coverlet. That ones for ME!

There were 4 left over 6" blocks (finished size) plus a 13"X15" strip from the middle thingies on the quilt (when I get pics for you you will understand) that I put together and will add onto with other left overs. It will be a little wild for me, and a lot of fun to see what it ends up looking like. I think that will go to Seattle Children's' Hospital.

I made a top with a Kona Cottons Solids Charm Pack I won ages ago. I just took the squares and added white sashing. It needs a border but I don't know what to use yet for that. Mom and I will go together sometime and pick something out. That's for SCH!

I found some orphan blocks from a valentines quilt I made for the Hospital along with some 2" left over strips. I had one more block's worth of pieces cut out, I don't know why I didn't make that block at the same time, and enough scraps to make another block with a little improv. I then had 12 blocks, used the 2" strips to frame those blocks, and stitched them together, 3X4 I think the blocks finished at 8" or so, so a small quilt but perfect. Headed to SCH too. It also needs a border, no idea what to use for that either!

Lastly I am two hexagons away from finishing my first flower. They are basted, and I have a ton more hexies basted too, but those are flower centers and I have most the rest of the pieces in storage still. I am doing prints in the middle with just one ring of petals in solids. Since most the fabric is not with me, I don't know what solids I need to get to go with most the centers, and I can't remember what the line of fabric is called....oops. at least I am not in a hurry to cross that one off my list!

pictures will come soon....I hope!

4 comments:

Beth said...

WOW! THat was a lot of sewing. I bet that felt really good. Sounds like you all had a nice relaxing week end.
ps I mailed that book yesterday, finally.

Katie said...

I can't wait to see pictures! Everything sounds wonderful and I'm so happy for you that you got to sew. PlayDough is such a creative thing - as an adult I can still play with it for hours (much to the amazement of my 7-year-old niece, who tires of it after about 2 minutes)!

Unknown said...

Playdoh is awesome! Glad your girls like it...so you can sew;) Can't wait to see pictures some day of all the goodies you are doing;)
Happy Quilting!!

a good yarn said...

Playdoh is unbeatable! Glad the girls had a fun time palying together and that you got a chance to do some sewing. Bet that felt pretty good. ann :-)