Monday, August 20, 2012

note to self

This is a little on the preachy side, so don’t feel like you have to read. I just wanted to share and remember.


This weekend I went to the Washington Auction of Wines (WOW). It raises money for Seattle Childrens and the Washington Wine Education program at WSU. (Did you know that Washington is now one of the top wine producing states? We are going to knock CA off the charts!) We had a winemaker at our table, and drank his wines with out meal. He was odd, but what winemaker isn’t? I was there to balance the table out, there was one person who my folks wanted at their table, but they were a singleton so they bought me a ticket so I was another singleton. Wonderful experience.

Anyways, I am always so thankful I have not needed Seattle Childrens various services for my children. But more profoundly, my dads’ parents were my babysitters that night. How amazing is it that my girls get to spend time with my dads’ folks (at their own home, playing in their back yard, reading books on their couches…the same house and couch and yard my dad grew up with.)

On the way to their house, R wanted to list all the people she loves:
Grandma
Grandpa
Uncle B
Aunt K
(the rest are actually greats)
Aunt T
Uncle N
God
Aunt MA
Aunt J
Pop-Pop
Nana (“who is in Heaven but I can still love her”)
The Other Uncle B
Aunt K
All the other people I have not met yet but are my family.

How wonderful that they get to spend time with MY aunts and uncles and grandparents (Nana and Pop-Pop are my moms folks, Nana passed away 2 ½ years ago, but we talk about her. H is so much a mix of the two of them it’s amazing.) How wonderful that both girls know them, has memories and special times, and they both know they are loved back.  H can list them off too, but usually when prompted, not spontaniously.

2 comments:

---"Love" said...

I think that's wonderful!!! ---"Love"

Unknown said...

Glad you had a good time out;) And the girls...wonderful;)
Happy Living!!